|Submitted: Jul 19 2014|
Updated: Nov 19 2014
Kvantum is an SVG-based theme engine for Qt4/Qt5 and KDE, i.e. a program for styling Qt applications with SVG images, with an emphasis on elegance, usability and practicality.
Kvantum comes with a default dark theme, inspired by the default theme of Enlightenment. Creation of realistic themes like that for KDE was my first reason to make Kvantum but it allows themes with very different looks and feels, whether they be photorealistic or cartoonish, 3D or flat, embellished or minimalistic, or something in between.
The core idea of Kvantum, namely using of SVG images for drawing Qt widgets, is taken from QuantumStyle (not developed anymore but continued as QSvgStyle at https://github.com/DexterMagnific/QSvgStyle).
*** Compilation ***
Install X11 and Qt development packages (libx11-dev and libxext-dev for X11, libqt4-dev for Qt4, and qtbase5-dev, libqt5svg5-dev and libqt5x11extras5-dev for Qt5, in Debian-based systems), open a terminal inside the Kvantum folder and issue this command:
qmake && make
You might need to put the full path of qmake in the above command, especially for a second compilation against Qt5.
*** Installation ***
sudo make install
Then select Kvantum for both widget style and color scheme in System Settings. Please read the file INSTALL for detailed instructions on compilation and installation for Qt4 and Qt5!
For 64-bit Debian (and, perhaps, other 64-bit Debian-based systems too), you could just use the deb package below. There are also 32 and 64-bit Arch packages, kindly made by Josip (metak).
*** Theme Making ***
For instructions on how to change configuration or make new themes, please read the files Theme-Config and Theme-Making in the doc folder!
You could find my various Kvantum themes at KDE-Look.org. They demonstrate several features of Kvantum.
*** Notes ***
(1) Each new theme should be accompanied by a KDE color scheme because some KDE apps may use colors specific to KDE. Qt apps use Kvantum colors though.
(2) Kvantum does not provide window decorations. Such jobs are done by the window manager.
(3) I update this page whenever needed but without announcing an update. The latest date is in the ChangeLog section below.
See ChangeLog inside the source for a more thorough list.
29 Jul 2015
* Took care of textless menuitems.
* Size grip is drawn relative to the corner at which it appears.
* Changed the toggled button of the default theme.
23 Jul 2015
* Consider subclassed QAbstractSpinBoxes when calculating spinbox size.
* Fixed a compilation error with Qt5-5.5.0 (but the deb package is compiled against Qt5-5.4.0).
19 Jul 2015
* Added two hacking keys (to Kvantum Manager) for removing the icons of push-buttons and menus.
* Small fixes.
* Updated the deb package to v0.8.23-1
12 Jul 2015
* Added KF5 system and user color scheme paths for Kvantum and Kvantum Manager installations, respectively.
* Added two new sections for opaque and translucent dialogs (with Window sections as fallbacks).
* Lower/upper limits for some integer keys.
7 Jul 2015
** IMPORTANT UPDATE **
* Fixed a rare crash (thanks to "cesasol" for reporting).
* Added an experimental hacking key to force size grips of dialogs and statusbars.
* View-items and headers can be (partially) rounded now.