|Submitted: Jul 19 2014|
Updated: Nov 19 2014
Kvantum is an SVG-based theme engine for Qt4/Qt5 and KDE, i.e. a program for styling Qt applications with SVG images, with an emphasis on elegance, usability and practicality.
Kvantum comes with a default dark theme, inspired by the default theme of Enlightenment. Creation of realistic themes like that for KDE was my first reason to make Kvantum but it allows themes with very different looks and feels, whether they be photorealistic or cartoonish, 3D or flat, embellished or minimalistic, or something in between.
The core idea of Kvantum, namely using of SVG images for drawing Qt widgets, is taken from QuantumStyle (not developed anymore but continued as QSvgStyle at https://github.com/DexterMagnific/QSvgStyle).
*** Compilation ***
Install X11 and Qt development packages (libx11-dev and libxext-dev for X11, libqt4-dev for Qt4, and qtbase5-dev, libqt5svg5-dev and libqt5x11extras5-dev for Qt5, in Debian-based systems), open a terminal inside the Kvantum folder and issue this command:
qmake && make
You might need to put the full path of qmake in the above command, especially for a second compilation against Qt5.
*** Installation ***
sudo make install
Then select Kvantum for both widget style and color scheme in System Settings. Please read the file INSTALL for detailed instructions on compilation and installation for Qt4 and Qt5!
For 64-bit Debian (and, perhaps, other 64-bit Debian-based systems too), you could just use the deb package below. There are also 32 and 64-bit Arch packages, kindly made by Josip (metak).
*** Theme Making ***
For instructions on how to change configuration or make new themes, please read the files Theme-Config and Theme-Making in the doc folder!
You could find my various Kvantum themes at KDE-Look.org. They demonstrate several features of Kvantum.
*** Notes ***
(1) Each new theme should be accompanied by a KDE color scheme because some KDE apps may use colors specific to KDE. Qt apps use Kvantum colors though.
(2) Kvantum does not provide window decorations. Such jobs are done by the window manager.
(3) I update this page whenever needed but without announcing an update. The latest date is in the ChangeLog section below.
See ChangeLog inside the source for a more thorough list.
4 Jul 2015
* Now rectangles with maximally rounded corners can have border (a theme using this feature will come soon).
* Optional config section for distinguishing between translucent and opaque window backgrounds.
* Set the pressed state for a combobox if its line-edit has focus.
* Kvantum Manager is a Qt5 app by default.
* Workaround for the unwelcome behavior of Qt5 QSettings, which reorders keys on writing.
* More space for centered toolbar handles.
* Changed the dependency of the 64-bit deb package to Qt >= 5.4.0.
25 Jun 2015
* Added SMPlayer's screen to the whitelist of draggable widgets.
* Increased the thickness of the clickable rectangle of sliders to the thickness of their handles.
* Added a key for not mirroring the top/left tab shape to draw the bottom/right tab in the document mode.
10 Jun 2015
* Fall back to general colors if normalColor is missing.
25 May 2015
* Added keys for removing scrollbar arrows and setting the maximum thickness of progressbars.
* Added a key for assigning a separate color to the progress text inside the progress indicator.
* Fit adjacent header sections together.
* Changed the config page layout of Kvantum Manager.
* Increased text margins of the default theme (because of size changes in v0.8.18).
* mproved "Theme-Making.pdf".
6 May 2015
* Correct minimum width for date-time-edits and spinboxes with negative and/or double values.